Gartner Critique

I chose, “Gartner Identifies the Top 10 Strategic Technologies for 2011”, to critique for its relevance to educators, technologists, and venturers involved with workplace e-learning programs for mid to large sized corporations. In the corporations that I have worked with over the past fifteen years the Gartner reports have always been well respected and referenced, often being used to support strategic decisions made by the office of the CIO. Technologies identified in the report will be more relevant to some than others. For example the mobile applications and media tablets will have broad appeal and relevance but the complexity of Fabric-Based Infrastructures and Computers would be beyond all but the most tech savvy technologists. However, it is still critical if it’s an emerging technology platform because it can impact decisions about how an e-learning program is technically designed, impacting costs, a valid concern for the venturists.

Even if one’s learning technology venture does not require any or all of the technologies listed it is still be important to be aware of them. For example, cloud computing involves key decisions to be made around privacy, cost, accessibility and whether or not one leverages a public or private cloud. If your competition is leveraging cloud computing, and therefore reducing costs, then how will you compete unless you also leverage from this technology?

I would seek out future versions of this report. It is clear, concise, and relevant to my area of interest. Often Gartner reports and access to Gartner analysts is expensive. Having access to a respected and concise summary such as this provides a trigger for questions that may be asked about one’s venture program to ensure that key technologies are being considered that may impact the future design and deployment of supporting technologies.

I would recommend this report to others designing educational programs for corporations because it helps you to prepare for questions that a decision committee may ask. Even if you are not incorporating or using a technology listed here you should be able to have thought through the requisite why or why not.

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace